Applying for an ETIAS will require a passport along with a computer or mobile device having internet connection as well as a valid form of payment. We approximate the application will take 20 minutes to complete yet this could vary depending on the number of additional fields you may be required to fill-out. You will not need to apply for an ETIAS until January 01 2021. However, below is guidance to help you think ahead about the application.
Applicants will need to provide the following information as part of their ETIAS application:
- Surname (family name), first name(s), surname at birth, usual name(s); date of birth, place of birth, country of birth, sex, current nationality, first names of the parents of the applicant; home address;
- Passport and / or Travel document information;
- If applicable, information on any other nationalities or citizenships;
- Address of permanent residence;
- Email address and telephone number;
- Member State of intended first entry;
- Education and / or current occupation information;
- ETIAS background and eligibility questions. Such questions will pertain to any medical conditions or other infectious or contagious parasitic diseases; criminal history involving serious damage to property, to another person or entity; history of distributing illegal drugs; previous travel to war-zone countries as well as any previous immigration or travel history which resulted in the applicant being deported or rejected entry into an EU member country;
- If the applicant is a minor, the identity of the person responsible for the minor;
- If the application is submitted by a person different of the applicant, the identity of the person and company that he or she represents (if applicable).
- For family members to EU citizens/third country nationals benefitting from free movement without residence cards: their status as family member; the identity details of the family member with whom the applicant has ties; their family ties.
You will need to have a passport from one of the following countries; please note this list is updated regularly to reflect the latest ETIAS eligible countries:
You should ensure you have the following documents with you in order to apply:
- Current Valid Passport - Your passport will need to be valid at the time you are arriving in Europe.
- Machine Readable Passport - Your passport will need to contain a machine-readable section on the biographic details page.
- Electronic Passport - Although this is not a universal requirement, your passport may need to be an electronic passport bearing the electronic passport sign, or chip (see figure below).
Digital Passport Photo
Machine Readable Passport
Electronic Passport Chip
Fees and Payment
The ETIAS application fee is €7, however, travellers under the age of 18 or over the age of 70 will not need to pay the fee. Debit and credit card payments are accepted.
Upon payment of the fee, paid by applicants between the ages of 18 to 70, the ETIAS application will be processed and a decision will be obtained within minutes.
If you are not eligible for ETIAS or your ETIAS application is denied, you need to most likely apply for a Schengen visa to visit Europe.
If you wish to stay in the EU longer then the amount of time granted under the ETIAS, you will need to switch to the relevant visa category based on the purposes of your stay.